The brain needs an adequate amount of nutrients to enhance mental power. These brain nutrients are provided by healthy fats, lean protein, organic greens, and of course nootropics. It is therefore important to plan well and prepare accordingly to provide only the best foods that have a great impact on your mental and physical health.
A well-planned meal would give you not only the best food items that provide nutrients that aid in attaining your maximum mental fitness and cognitive function, but also other essential nutrients that your body needs. This also allows for maintaining the right amount of calories to sustain your energy requirements.
A nootropic diet has shown positive effects by optimizing cognitive performance and mental output as it pertains to learning, memory, recall, creative thinking, and mental power. Mental power sounds like some sci-fi ability, but it’s simply your ability to sustain high productivity over a greater period of time. If this isn’t readily apparent why it’s beneficial, picture yourself working at hour 8. How productive are you by this hour? Is it taking you 40 minutes to complete a task that would have taken you only 10 minutes in the morning?
Being able to sustain cognitive or mental output to increase productivity means you get noticed for a promotion, or you’re the one crushing your competition. Really, this is what it’s all about. How can you ingest the best ingredients for you health so that you can achieve more goals and achieve them faster?
If you find it difficult to prepare your meals ahead of time or know that you tend to eat the same few things over and over again, then supplementing with herbal nootropics is a great option to ensure you are getting all of the nutrients your brain and body need for optimal daily performance and longevity. Try our daily meal replacement blend Mind, and our stress and anxiety reducing sleep aid Mend, for a full day's nutrition and recovery for brain and body.
We know well how much damage can be done with a cinnabon, but what most people are missing out on is that you don’t have to stop at avoidance to be healthy, but rather you can seek out additional nutrients that will take you to the next level. This includes boosting brain and memory function, improving focus and attention, and enhancing mental clarity. When focusing on biohacking and adding nootropics to your diet, you should:
- Forget about the conventional view of eating which is defined by having breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks in between. Instead, you should listen to your body and eat whenever you feel hungry. Doing so, you will notice that you will feel more satiated than usual.
- Carbohydrate loading is not a good idea unless you’re going out and running a marathon the next day. If carbo cravings increase, try to survive by eating healthy and nootropic friendly fats. Take a deep breath and give some time until the cravings eventually subside.
- Know and track your macronutrient ratio. You might find it hard at times especially getting enough fat into your diet in order to fit your fat quota. You can use an interactive calculator to ensure the correct macro ratios are taken.
- As much as possible, stick with whole foods since they are healthier. Remember that the body is not well equipped to handle any foreign food like ingredients thus resulting in inflammation. Choose foods with no health claim and have less than five ingredients.
Planning proper meals should be easy and are accomplished by understanding the foundations of a nootropic diet. Know the appropriate foods that can be served and recommended ingredients that can be used, as well as their specific effects and benefits to the improvement of your mind and body. These tips and techniques will help in structuring meals to be served which will greatly fit your needs, and also your budget.
Below are some quick guides that will provide suggestions for your nootropic diet meal plan. Use these pointers to experiment and structure ideas that best fit and work to enhance your brainpower.
- Avoid meals that are heavy or rich in protein because this can affect your macro ratio. Make sure to monitor and adjust accordingly. Balance nutrient intake. Removing excess protein from your meal plan can be an option to stick with the goal of higher fat and moderate protein consumption.
- Stay low on carbohydrates and its other forms like sugar. Excessive intake may lead to carbohydrate related health conditions and may lead to weight gain as the body continues to absorb these food items.
- Oils including coconut oil are good to use in cooking or in salads since they act as an efficient fuel source for the brain. Also, they have medium chain triglycerides, a composition that helps in digesting fat easily. Coconut oil provides many benefits aside from the ones mentioned.
- Virgin olive oil, added in salads, helps improve cognitive function. It enhances memory while reducing stress levels in the brain. It adds flavor and keeps food moist, enhancing not only the flavor but also the nutritive value as well.
- MCT Oil Powder is specially created to enhance and improve cognitive functions. It helps fuel the brain for optimum performance. Use this, as recommended, to ensure better brain functioning.
- Eggs eaten any time of the day are a great brain food. It is a primary source of choline which helps maintain the integrity of the cell membranes for better nerve signaling. Organic eggs are better options and should be chosen, if available. You can either get these at a local market or at the nearest grocery store. Alpha GPC is the preferred choline source for acetylcholine function in our brains and body. Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter involved in a host of activities from chemical nerve signaling to muscle firing. So it’s uber important and you’ll find this pure choline source in Momental Mind. You may be too busy, so you sacrifice quality food for quick, cheap items while on the go. This is exactly why we made Mind so that hard working people wouldn’t have to sacrifice their health when they are just too busy too cook.
- Fish and seafood products are good brain foods due to the high Omega 3 content. This helps maintain the integrity of the cells for better transport of nutrients to the brain. Choose fatty fish for the best results. The higher the fat content the more satiated you will feel.
- Use high quality and fattier cuts of bacon and lean meat products. If available, choose grass-fed and pastured raised meats. Do not eat processed meats or deli meats. Meats should not have added sugars and carbohydrates, so go for homemade products or store bought that are home made equivalent. If your local market cooked up a turkey and sliced that for their deli meat, then by all means go for it.
- Green and leafy vegetables such as broccoli and asparagus are high in nutrients and low in carbohydrates making them healthy choices. These cruciferous vegetables release a certain compound which effectively alleviates the symptoms of depression and anxiety.
- Sauerkraut and other fermented foods should have no added sugar. This also aids in better digestion and gut health due to the fibers present. Try fermenting vegetables in order to reduce their carbohydrate content.
- Avocado, being one of the few nootropic fruits, is a healthy option due to its high-fat content. Choose organically produced for fewer pesticide residues.
- Berries, particularly blueberries, help protect the brain against aging. It also helps improve learning capacity and motor skills. This can be made into an appetizing dessert or even cooked with the main dish. Check out our recipe for blueberry nootropic smart muffins if you’re craving a brain boosting treat.
- Herbs and spices such as turmeric added in different dishes can act as a memory enhancer. This primarily supports memory, improves attention span, and reduces brain fog.
- Nuts and seeds, such as almonds, macadamia nuts, chia seeds, and pumpkin seeds, are excellent sources of good fats and protein. They deliver amino acids and vitamins to the brain for better and regulated functioning. Your mood is also enhanced due to the releasing of compounds such as serotonin and dopamine.
- Condiments should be used in moderation due to additional fillers and additives that include carbohydrates. It is important to carefully check labels for nutritional information. Homemade sauces and gravies are much preferred over pre-made condiments.
- The inclusion of coffee, an antioxidant, in the meal plan can help boost the overall fat content. High-fat coffee is highly recommended, especially in the morning. Other than boosting energy, this low carbohydrate beverage can help sharpen your mental performance.
- Green tea contains small amounts of caffeine. It is a powerful mental booster that promotes relaxation and proper brain functioning. Read more about green tea egcg here, and why it’s a potent antioxidant for brain health.
- Drinking water greatly helps increase cognitive function. Even your mood is altered with a lack of water and can result in decreased energy levels, and reduced processing speed. Drink at least eight to ten glasses every day.
- Milk and milk products should be taken at moderate levels. Choose full-fat products over fat-free or low fat for better brain boost and improvement. Just be careful if you have any allergies or sensitivities when digesting dairy products.
- The amino acid chain is broken down into smaller components for better power and performance.
- Several nootropic supplements are available in the market. You can choose from a wide variety of choices. But first, read and understand the basic details and information regarding these supplements for better guidance.
With this helpful information in mind, you’re one step closer to thinking clearer, being more creative, and outlasting the competition when it comes to productivity. Start to contemplate and mix and match the possible combination of food items that you can eat during breakfast, lunch, dinner, and even for snacking. Enjoy!
Nootropic Diet Meals for Breakfast
You can take advantage of the foods listed below for breakfast, but we also recommend skipping this faux most important meal of the day. The only important meal of the day is the one that is necessary to provide you energy when you are actually depleted. Most people are eating too late at night, or are way to sedentary the rest of the evening to be waking up and gorging on a big breakfast. Instead opt for a Mind smoothie that will give you valuable brain energy, and loads of nootropics to get you firing on all cylinders right away in the morning. Remember that a good nootropic breakfast should always include high fat, moderate protein, and few to zero carbohydrates. Here are some of the delicious breakfast ideas that you can combine:
- Smoked bacon
- Coldwater fish for algal DHA; salmon, walleye, trout
- Sardines cooked in oil
- Smoked oyster in oil
- Deviled or hard boiled eggs, over easy, or sunny side up- eat your yolks!
- Steamed vegetables such as broccoli, spinach, or asparagus
- Berries; blue, black, rasp, & straw, and yes in this order
- Bran flakes
- Chia seeds or pumpkin seeds with raisins
- High-fat coffee
- Greens; there is simply no reason you can’t have a salad for breakfast
- Recipe; bacon, arugula, and over easy eggs with olive oil and lemon dressing. Your lean, brainpower, energy packed breakfast is solved.
- Green tea
Nootropic Diet Meals for Lunch
Lunch should include foods rich in fat, with moderate protein, and low to zero carbohydrates. These nootropic meals, even without starch, will surely keep you full and satiated for a longer period of time. Here are some of the appetizing lunch ideas that you can choose from:
- Salad with good oil such as coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil: make your own vinaigrettes with lemon and lime
- Green salad topped with high-quality fatty meat or bacon bits or chicken, or beef
- Roasted red bell peppers
- Nuts and seeds
- Cabbage slaw with avocado
- Cauliflower soup
- Thai Seafood Soup
- High-fat coffee
- Green tea (Can you see the theme here? Break out of the idea that only certain foods are for certain times of the day. If it’s good for you in the morning, it’s good for you in the evening)
Nootropic Diet Meals for Dinner
Be conscious and cautious in keeping the fat content high and protein low in everything you eat for dinner. These nootropic meals will keep you on track of your macro plan and your health goals. Here are some of the tasty dinner ideas that you can choose from:
- Almond Butter Burger
- Cauliflower Carbonara
- Thai Curry Chicken
- Tuna Zoodle Casserole
- Baked fish with Tomato and Olives
- Roasted Kale Salad with Kidney Beans and Walnuts
- Turmeric and Toasted Flax Risotto
- Green tea
Nootropic Diet Meals for Snacking
Eating snacks in between meals may seem difficult and challenging. Make sure to eat high fat and low carbohydrate snacks to ensure the best biohack. Homemade nootropic snacks are the best options to sustain this lifestyle. We want to help you choose the finest and high-quality ingredients, so that you can prepare and eat them how you prefer. It’s easy to get this done in your own kitchen. Here are some of the healthy snacks that can be eaten without any guilt:
- Beef Jerky and other low carbohydrates snack bars- watch out for sugar content in jerky
- Nuts and seeds such as almonds, macadamia nuts, and chia seeds
- Seaweed snacks
- Dark chocolate (using stevia as a sweetener)
- Cocoa nibs
- Pork rinds
- Pepperoni slices paired with high-fat cheese
- Veggie sticks wrapped in cheese or dip in dressings
- Bacon wraps and bacon sandwich
- Cauliflower crust pizza bites
- Keto chips
- Finger food sandwiches: real meats, no processed cuts
- Real meat and cheese roll ups; harder cheeses are better
Nootropic Diet Meals for Dessert
For your sweet cravings, choose foods that use low carbohydrate flours and are low in sweeteners. If possible, stay away from processed(muffins, cakes, candy bars etc) sweets to optimize your brain function. Sweets often have a way of getting consumed unnoticed so be wary of it. Eat alternative foods like seeds and nuts to satisfy your cravings. Good fats are equally delicious as sugar, and provide way more nutrient value, and fill you up with a small quantity. Stop thinking that fat will make you fat. Please, just cut it out. Here are some of the nootropic dessert ideas to satisfy your sweet tooth:
- Bone broth with extra butter
- Macadamia nut fat bomb and other fat bomb recipes
- Almond milk smoothie; add greens, momental mind(nootropics), nuts, berries for sweetener
- Berry ice cream(there are awesome alternative sugar free ice creams out there these days (google it)
- Chocolate mousse
- Sugar-free jello or sugar free popsicles
- Raw Walnut Fudge
Nootropic Diet Meals for Pre and Post Workout
The body needs more energy to perform several work-out and fitness routines each day. So you’re going to need to up your intake if you are training regularly.. Here are some of the powerful nootropic workout meal ideas for you:
- Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs) - supplement them, or eat lamb, lean grass fed beef, and organ meat
- MCT Oil Powder
- Deviled or hard boiled eggs
- Bacon meals such as wraps and sandwich
- High-fat coffee
- Green tea
The Bottom Line for a Nootropic Diet
Remember that failing to prepare is preparing to fail. Meal planning and preparation for a nootropic filled diet should not be hard, complicated, and tedious. There are many ways you can do this. And with proper guidance and tips, this activity can be made fun and enjoyable. There are many food items available to choose from, and we only listed a handful. Get a variety, and extrapolate what you learn here to other ideas and foods. You don’t need to worry about eating the same thing. Get creative, we live in an insane time, with an insane amount of options, in or out of season. Try to go in season though as it’s way better for the environment.
Other than the fundamentals of this diet plan, the secret lies in your own body. Your body and brain will provide you with feedback when you need more to sustain higher output physically or mentally. Biohack your life with nootropics and become the best you can be. You won’t be sorry.